Google
 

Friday, March 30, 2007

Adversity meme

I've no idea what meme means so I referred to the Oxford English Dictionary.

meme

/meem/

noun Biology an element of behaviour or culture passed on by imitation or other non-genetic means.

— DERIVATIVES memetic adjective.

— ORIGIN Greek mimema ‘that which is imitated’, on the pattern of gene.


Anyway here goes. I'm doing the Adversity meme started by Paul @ Original Faith.

A wall so high as to be insurmountable,
Dividing a land that on both sides sit idle,
What comes are shot without questions asked,
What moves are beaten till it moves no more,
The people lay afraid and with fear comes anger,
When asked what they fear their voices disappear,
No memory lives of what caused the divide,
No reasons given for what feeds the fear,
They accept what is passed from father to son,
No questions asked, no thought ever given.

6 comments:

Suriya said...

Meme is tagging others to write on same subject until it gets passed along to very many bloggers..
Anyway you also have to link back to the person who tagged you

Ahmad Hilmi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ahmad Hilmi said...

Actually I do know how meme is used. I just wanted to know the original meaning.

Anyway I mentioned Paul and linked to his website. You must've missed it. Been doing some super fast speed reading?

Anonymous said...

Meme is basically just another word for tag :)

Paul said...

I remember from high school French that "meme chose" meant "same thing."

"With fear comes anger" - it seems to me that way too - that anger comes from out of a sense of threat and that fear is the fundamental negative emotion.

Ahmad Hilmi said...

On meme,

Ah, simply lovely. I do love knowing the origin of things.

Sha: So it's used as a replacement for tagging yes? Hmm hmm...

Paul: Means that it's quite likely meme means same.. goes well with the dictionary meaning and also sha's and dr su's explanation that it's basically tagging. You have to become the chaser once tagged in the children's game, which means doing the same thing the person tagging before has done.

On Adversity meme,

Paul: It does seem so to me as I've seen and been through situations where fear, even my own fear would mutate to anger. I looked and changed my response after being aware of it. A shoot first and questions later attitude doesn't help anyone.