Google
 

Monday, March 19, 2007

Pokok Melaka

Pokok Melaka, also known as Indian Gooseberry is the origin of Melaka's name. I'm quite proud to say that I've known how pokok Melaka looks like since I was in high school. My friend pointed out to me the tree and even plucked a fruit for me. Of course I waited until he tasted it first before I did. It's quite bitter and sour but still nice. The fruit is also pickled though I've never tasted one.

If you go to Mahkota Parade in Melaka and the Dataran Mahkota in front of it you'll get to see the trees in real life. They're pokok Melaka that's why the council planted them okay. There's also a huge pokok Melaka near the Stadhuys. For anyone from Melaka look around next time you go shopping.




These are the pickled fruits.








These are cermai for those who think I've confused buah melaka with buah cermai.






Malacca Tree Wikipedia link.
Pokok Melaka Wikipedia link.

No comments: