Google
 

Friday, March 02, 2007

Headddddddache

I've been reading a bit about net addiction. I do have it, I really do. I would sit in front of this computer for hours pulling very interesting information that has doubtful uses. None are bad in itself but I'll give an example here to make things clearer. Yesterday I surfed and found a link to Australian Weeds. Not the smoking type mind you. So I spent a few hours reading and checking the many kinds of weeds in Australia, it's origins, how it affects the environments it grows in... So what do I get from that? More knowledge, yes but it isn't even relevant to anything that I do or know. It does expand my mind but I would devote about 15 minutes to half an hour to it if it's on printed media. Since it's in the net and linked to many more intriguing information I continued clicking and reading.

I'm having none of that tonight. Actually..... I'm stopping short rather than not starting. I already did read lots of interesting things tonight. A good 2 hours of reading Bruneian blogs and trying to figure out the local dialect. I say dialect because think formal Brunei Malay is very much similar to ours so correct me if I'm wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

formal malay in Brunei is the same formal malay in Malaysia and Indonesia. There are some disputes over it even in Brunei. Teachers will mark a word written in Brunei Malay wrong, but Malay lecturers will say that it is correct to refer some words in Brunei malay.
My Brunei Malay is terrible, but at least I can speak it better than a few other people that I know of.

Ahmad Hilmi said...

Oh okay... Sounds confusing for students. How's your formal Malay then? Better than your Brunei Malay?
I myself write better in English. My Malay lacks vocabulary. There's also the fact that my grammar is outdated since the Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka keeps updating the Malay language grammar..... I stick to the basics and ignore the rest. Confuses me too much.