Google
 

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Merdeka

I notice that there's this merdeka fever this year. Merdeka is independence day. There's so many promotions and offers, so many contests.... though I've yet to participate in any. It's the big 50 for Malaysia... Technically it's 50 years independence for Malaya but that's just a small technicality right?

Anyway I went to the historical part of Melaka, the part where we have the Portuguese ruins and Dutch buildings... It was the town centre back in the old days I guess. As usual I didn't take any pictures of anything~

The last time I went to this area was in 1997 and that's a long long while ago... I notice the Sound & Light auditorium is still there... Something good that. I hear that it's something really spectacular though I've never gone to see it and it is something started in 1989 so I don't know whether it's still good. The Sound & Light show is actually a re-enactment of history with still and moving image projections coupled with narrative, music and sound effects. Umm... that sounds like a multimedia presentation. Well, it was unparalleled in 1989 and the 90s I guess. I still want to see it as this is one thing that Melaka has that I've never experienced. Make that two things.. The other is going to Pulau Melaka (Melaka Island).

Okay just next to the Sound & Light open auditorium there's the philatelic museum, a place I've gone to once when I was still too small to appreciate anything in there. I moved past the museum towards the park that I knew was there to enjoy the shade and ambience. I'm really glad that I did go because it's so calming... The trees are each marked with a big sign that reads "DO NOT DAMAGE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - The Melaka City council". They're all in capital letters with red background and white lettering... It's a necessity here in Malaysia where development is usually seen to be more important than history. I promise to take a camera and snap some pics. The trees are lovely as quite a few of the larger trees are actually two trees intertwined together and they support a lot of smaller climbing and saprofitic plants...

I envision the trees symbolise the true vision of Malaysia as this small park is actually officially launched by the late Tunku Abdul Rahman in 20th February 1957. It was launched together with his proclamation that Malaya is to gain independence in 31st August that year. There's a Proclamation of Independence Memorial near the small park but I'm really surprised to read the plaque stating the park is also connected to the proclamation because I've never read or heard of it from anywhere. I'll write some more after I've taken pictures of the park and trees.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Nice description, would be interesting to compare how independence days are celebrated in different countries.

Ahmad Hilmi said...

I'll be writing on and off about independence I guess since it's a big event this yea~~

Ahmad Hilmi said...

Oh actually I forgot to say that independence day for Malaysia is actually on the 31st of August... They're starting festivities early this year as it's the 50th :D