Google
 

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Airasia's Game

I received an e-mail from Airasia telling me about their sincere desire to explain their new KLIA-East airport. The e-mail invited me to go the their website or blog to read and understand better. Note the lack of 2 way communication implied here. I was curious about their attempt at gaining public trust so I went to the blog.

The facts they laid out was simple, rough, overly pessimistic at points that would invalidate the new planned airport and overly optimistic with reasonings that support the new airport. Statistics given were also overly optimistic, assuming growth is ever infinite, up to the point of growing beyond well established airline companies. The fact that Airasia focused on companies is also very misleading as they are trying to justify an airport which means they need to list down numbers for airports rather than companies since one company doesn't monopolise a whole airport unless it's Airasia and it's pet LCCT of course.

I of course typed in a comment which lays down some of my doubts and grievances which led me to the next discovery. They moderate the comments. My post isn't shown immediately and still no sign of it after 15 minutes. Flipped through the pages. Most were positive and supporting comments. There were a few slightly critical comments and very few disagreeing comment.

All in all, the attempt at gaining support from the general public is like any Malaysian Government publicity campaign. A stage act that's one sided, closed to discussion and criticism with sprinkles of some truth thrown in to seem to be open. I would rather they be sincere and open with discussing this issue with the general public which includes organisation and political leaders who represent the people. One sidedness and an effort to silence criticisms implies something to hide.

No comments: